The Old Printery
Established in 1900
Framed by pear trees in Percy Street, Wellington, The Old Printery building sure could tell some tales of history and productivity in the region.
Built in 1900, the Printery is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Wellington. Originally established as the home of the ‘Wellington Times’ local newspaper, it enjoyed many years as a bustling centre for news in the busy town.
The Wellington Times and Australian Industrial Liberator was first published on 23 May 1889 by Michael Conlan O'Halloran to support the labour movement. In 1899 the name was shortened to the Wellington Times. In 1927 the Wellington Times absorbed The Wellington Gazette. In 1972 the Wellington Star was established as a competitor to the Times by Colin Lord. However the Star was incorporated into the Times in 1973 when the latter was purchased by Lord. The Times was purchased by Macquarie Publications in 1984 from Lord and is today published by Fairfax Regional Media
STAGE ONE OF THE RESTORATION COMMENCES
Renovation of the abandoned Printery warehouse comprised Stage one of the Wellington Times Restoration Project which took 3 ½ years in total to complete. This original part of the building still contained the printing presses and linotypes which were extremely heavy and had to be moved out of the building and were transported to a local artist who is very cleverly upcycling their parts to create metal sculptures.
Façade repaired and painted
The historic part of the building was patched and rendered and then painted in the original colour scheme in keeping wit heritage restoration requirements.
STAGE 2 RESTORATION COMMENCED
The adjoining Wellington Times office space was a 1970’s addition to the Historic Wellington Times building and in stage 2 was converted to provide disability access (including electric wheelchair lift), a new Wellness Café and additional meeting/therapy space.